Resolutions don’t work. In this episode of Health Mysteries Solved, we’re going to explore why and what you should be doing instead.
New Year’s Resolutions Don’t Work
We all make them, and most of us fail at them. Or, we have small successes that don’t last. Why? I think there are a few reasons:
- Tied to New Years. Most of us only think about resolutions as the calendar rolls over. So, we think about this goal once. And then, we forget it so there’s not much consistency.
- Obligation. For many of us, we make these resolutions about things we feel like we should be doing. We don’t think about why we want these things, or if we truly want them.
- Wrong focus. We think about the resolution but don’t always put ourselves in a place where we can really feel it happening. We focus on fixing specific health issues and getting to the root of our ailments but not on what we really want and how we want to feel. We focus on what we don’t want instead of what we do want.
The New Year’s Resolutions Replacement
I want to share an exercise with you that is much more powerful than the typical New Year’s Resolution practice. This is something I do (and I have my clients do) consistently throughout the year – not just at New Year’s! Do this when you have about 10 minutes in a quiet, comfortable spot where you can focus on your desired future. Make sure nobody will interrupt you. Don’t do this while driving – this is not something you want to be multitasking!
Health Visualization Exercise
I’ll explain the process but I highly recommend you listen to the podcast so I can walk you through it.
- Have a seat and close your eyes. Take a breath. Take one more.
- Think about a few things you are grateful for. Even if you’re struggling, find something to be grateful for.
- Say ‘thank you’ outloud for each thing you are grateful for. Take your time and allow things to come to the surface.
- Think of one health goal.
- Think about WHY you want this goal.
- Consider the potential hardships you will endure if this doesn’t happen.
- Visualize your goal as if it’s happening right now. Try to really see yourself living in this new state of health. Evoke all the senses in this visualization. Take your time with this – you want to be able to feel this new reality. If negative thoughts arise and you feel like you are questioning this reality, acknowledge them, take a breath, try and feel where in your body you are feeling the resistance and observe it, this will allow the thought to subside so you can return to your full visualization immersion.
- Write it down. Write down what you said, how you felt, and what you were doing. The key is to write it as you see it, as if it’s happening right now, not what you would like someday. Be mindful to not write down what you don’t want, you want it in the present and in the positive.
- Get motivated. You very likely know exactly what action you need to take, now use the WHY to get motivated to take action. If you’re not sure where to start taking action, write down as many things as you can about all the possible actions and choose one to do.
Keep visualizing. Remember this isn’t a once a year empty exercise. To help make your visualization a reality as quickly as possible is consistency. Envisioning your dream is something you can do as often as you like, ideally each day. Download and save this episode so you can listen to it and revisit your visualization or do it on your own. Really seeing and feeling what you want will help to bring it closer to you.
You my friend, deserve all of the things that you wrote down and I want your dream to become a reality in the coming year.
I would love to hear how this exercise went for you, what you noticed, what happened a few days later and what opportunities come your way. Drop me a line on Instagram or use the contact form on the Health Mysteries Solved website. I love hearing from you!
Related Podcast Episodes:
Thanks for Listening
If you like what you heard, please rate and review this podcast. Every piece of feedback not only helps me create better shows, it helps more people find this important information.
Find out more at http://healthmysteriessolved.com
All information, content, and material on this podcast is for informational purposes only and is not intended to serve as a substitute for the consultation, diagnosis, and/or medical treatment of a qualified physician or healthcare provider.
Some of the links provided are affiliate links. This means we may make a very small amount of money should you choose to buy after clicking on them. This will in no way affect the price the product but it helps us a tiny bit in covering our expenses.